It is essential that you clearly state on your club or society web page what insurance cover is in place for your club or society and its members. If you are at all unsure about any aspect of insurance please contact your development coordinator. There are many types of insurance available. There are three that are of particular interest to you and your groups, these are:

  • Public Liability
  • Professional Indemnity
  • Personal Accident

What Public Liability insurance covers

Public Liability insurance broadly covers any awards of damages given because of an injury or damage to a person or their property caused by you or your club or society. It also covers any related legal fees. Details of the policy can be provided via email request:

What Professional Indemnity insurance covers

Professional Indemnity insurance protects your business against claims for loss or damages by a client or a third party. So if your coaching staff, have made mistakes or are found to have been negligent in some or all of the services that they provide. Professional Indemnity insurance will also cover legal costs.
The policy only covers anyone that is coaching or giving instruction and is employed for this purpose by LUU.


Personal Accident

Personal Accident insurance can compensate for personal injury, loss of earnings and/or personal belongings of a person, club or society that hold the policy. This affects every member in some way. There is no policy in place for this type of insurance held centrally by LUU.


Other Insurance

Motoring insurance- please see the driving section of this booklet or contact

Groups who borrow or hire items of value even on a short term basis i.e. clothing for fashion shows must make their Development Coordinator aware so that appropriate cover can be put in place. Please note the club or society will be invoiced for the cost of this cover.
Travel Insurance- planning a club or society trip abroad? Please ensure you have appropriate travel insurance in place, and don?t forget to get an EHIC, apply here.


Most sports and activities have their own NGB (National Governing Body) that can provide your club with support and also insurance.
Check to see what cover you have available if you are already affiliated with an NGB. If not, check out what support and resources are available within your field of activity. Make it clear on your club webpage what insurance your club has.

Kit Insurance

For many groups we will ask you for an equipment inventory, as it will be covered on our insurance.
If you need to make a claim for equipment damages, speak to your Development Coordinator.
Copyright and legal