Welcome, to the East African Society!
East Africa isn't just Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Rwanda, Burundi and South Sudan. We are more than just countries on a map. We are a hub of diverse culture, rich history, growing economies and so much more. With such wealth in culture, it would be a shame for us to keep it to ourselves. This is why we exist, to manifest the East African Spirit in Leeds so that everyone can experience what a treasure some of us call home is.
This year's committee is committed to making this year the most amazing year yet. If you see these familiar faces around campus be sure to give them a shout out. They'd love to tell you what we have going on.
What to expect with us…
A Home away from Home
We know just how difficult it can be moving to a new city and starting over. That's why we are here to help with the transition. Whether you need information on sights to see, places to go, or are just looking to be reminded of where you've come from, we are here for you. Let us know how we can help you. Be sure to look out for our Cultural Day with all your favourite delicacies to get rid of that bout of homesickness.
There ain't no party like an East African Party.
We have you covered with fun socials and club nights.
Not a fan of such parties: don't worry!! We have loads of other exciting trips away from the city, and events such as EASoc goes Bowling, or the EA Paintballing War waiting for you. Leeds is just teeming with so many fun places we can't wait to experience them with you!
A Charitable Society
Let's face it, although East Africa is a phenomenal place, we are not lost to the fact that we still have poverty levels unheard of in the world, diseases that continue plague us and other socio - economic problems. This is why we use our platform to support charities back in East Africa who make a world of difference in people's lives. We love our thriving society and want to be part of our success. If you have any charities you would like us to sponsor through this years events, please contact us below. Some of the charities we have sponsored include: Wild Instincts and The Orphanage of Hearts in Burundi.
It’s easy to get lost in University life; we are here to give you a sense of community, fun and a chance to get involved in giving back to different causes.
Here is our track record of events:
- Tribal Instinct - This is by far our most important event. Each year we celebrate East African Fashion as well as raise funds for charities back home. Tribal Instinct has grown over time and has solidified its position as a must go event for East African living within the UK. Take a look at how amazing it was this last academic year. You never know, you might be the next sensation on the Tribal Instinct Runway!
- Voodoo Masquarade: Halloween wasn't ready for us. Be sure to look out for this years Halloween Event
- Movie Night - A night to Celebrate stories from our Motherland. This year, we can't wait for Queen of Katwe
- Debates: Conversations need to be held about our society. We provide a safe space for you to do this.
These are but a few of the interactive events we have going on. This year we hope to do these and so much more Look out for us during Black History Month - we will leave you mindblown, East Africa is after all, the cradle of mankind.
In order to take full advantage of the events and opportunities available through the society, it is important for you to register as a member.
Our standard Membership Fees are:
- 1 Year Membership - 10£
- Liftetime Membership - 25£
However, We are offering discounted rates during the freshers period until the 31st of October!!
- 1 Year Membership - 10£
- Lifetime Membership - 15£
Feel free to contact us below!