The Friends of Syria have no current committie. If you are interested in taking over this society please contact email@example.com.
Syria is bleeding. Are you just going to watch?
Founded as a direct response to the mass killings and human rights violations taking place in Syria, Leeds Friends of Syria seeks to contribute to international efforts to stop the violence and to provide humanitarian aid to those in need. Our group is primarily based at the University of Leeds but is open to all in the Leeds area and beyond who share our goals and values.
Join us on facebook.
(where most of our events are organised and publicised)
Follow us on twitter @LeedsForSyria and https://twitter.com/LeedsForSyria
1. To draw attention to the horrendous violations of human rights and international law taking place in Syria.
2. To campaign against sectarianism in pursuit of a pluralistic society in Syria.
3. To work with other organisations in the UK and international organisations including those based in Syria to try to bring about an immediate end to the violence, the implementation of political reform and the fall of the Assad regime.
4. To support and work alongside NGOs which share our goals and values to alleviate suffering of Syrians affected by the conflict.
5. To campaign for transitional justice and reconciliation in Syria.
6. To support and encourage other groups. particularly university groups, to stand in solidarity with the Syrian revolution.
7. To provide support for Syrian refugees both internationally and locally, with a particular focus on those in the Leeds area.
What we do
We are member-driven and hold a wide variety of events that reflect our members' interests. These include fundraising activities, from taster language classes to 'Salsa for Justice', charity dinners and bake sales; awareness raising activities like speaker's events, panel discussions, flashmobs and protests. We also aim to make our society showcase the wealth of Shami culture and organise or attend Syrian, Lebanese, Palestinian and Jordania cultural activities like film screenings and concerts. We also organise regular trips to attend other Syria Solidarity and Syrian cultural events in the North of England and beyond.
How to get involved?
For more information on our society and what YOU can do to help, please contact:
President: Christine Gilmore firstname.lastname@example.org
Secretary: Hannah Dudley
Treasurer: Katya Bernatavicius