To Leeds Rock and Alternative Society (aka RockSoc), the biggest, busiest, and friendliest society for anyone and everyone interested in rock music. From Metal to Rock ‘n’ Roll, Indie to Punk, Goth to Emo and more, you will find someone who likes the same music as you do.
We’ll introduce you to the local and the wider Northern rock scene with trips to clubnights in Leeds as well as further afield. We here at RockSoc are also the brains and (dis)organisers behind the best new live music & clubnight CYANIDE held regularly here at our very own student union. Whether you are new to University or to Leeds, or you've been around for a while; there's plenty to get involved in. We also welcome members from other Universities and non-students who want to meet like-minded people.
So whatever your background get involved and join in!
We are a really busy society, hosting a variety of different events, so whoever you are there will definitely be something right up your street, and if not we are of course open to suggestions – found a really good clubnight, want to go to a gig and looking for other people to go with, looking to start a band, discovered a new album or new favourite song? We want to hear about it! We have a very active community for all this and more on our Facebook page at Leeds Rock Society or our Facebook group Leeds Rocksoc Forum. Be sure to also check out our Twitter and Instagram accounts, as found below, and give us a follow. Don't be shy! All of us here know what it's like to move to a new City and want to discover more about the local Alternative Music Scene.
We promise to make all new members feel welcome, die hard rockers and newbies alike. So whether you know 5 bands or 500; you'll certainly find a place here.
Things we'd love you to get involved in:
Weekly Social – Every Friday from 8pm in Strawbs Bar on Woodhouse Lane (next to the Fenton) where we have exclusive access to the bar upstairs, fabulous drinks offers just for our Society and a place to have good chat and meet all our members, and if you want to do something afterwards we always end up at the best Rock and Alternative nights in Leeds, where we are proud to offer our members discounted entry.
Cyanide – Cyanide is our very own clubnight and live music event, held right here in the University Union. Every couple of months we transform our Union into a cracking night of live rock bands, cherry-picked from the best of the rich local music scene that West Yorkshire has to offer. We kick the night off with sets from a selection of great bands from all areas of the rock spectrum, from Metal and Thrash to Punk, Goth, Grunge and beyond! Previous headliners have included thrash metallers Evile, and popular rock/goth outfit Bad Pollyanna, both performing alongside a first-class selection of local bands. After that our DJs take over to bombard you with a terrific mix of rock music from all backgrounds. Expect rock and metal classics, new and old; punk legends, and everything in between. The only true selection of Rock music at any Alternative night in Leeds is here at Cyanide, so prepare for great people, crazy dancing and an altogether awesome night! Keep an eye out for the next one, you don't want to miss out, and of course discounted entry and tickets to our Cyanide gig & clubnight are always available to our members first!
- Northern Club Night Trips – Once a semester we take a coach load of you to other northern club nights. Previous trips have included Corporation in Sheffield, Spiders in Hull, Krazyhouse in Liverpool and Rock City in Nottingham. An expected trip this year will be to Corporation again along with the University of Sheffield, Sheffield Hallam, and York Rock Societies.
- The Alt Ball – The biggest night in our RockSoc calendar! We get all you lovely alternative people together with other societies such as Anime Soc, Band Soc, and Leeds Beckett Rock Society, put on our fanciest clothing and have an amazing three course meal with a Rock DJ, entertainment, and after parties to celebrate the end of the year! Previous locations have included The Marriott, The Queens Hotel and The Hilton, whilst previous entertainment has ranged from circus acts to stand-up comedy, bands and burlesque!
- Other stuff – We do all sorts of other socials too, including bowling, poker nights, group trips to gigs and local festivals and of course any more suggestions are welcome! We have a generous budget here to spend on you lot so that we can give you the best year possible with our Society.
Coming up for the new 2017/18 year we have some great things planned to make another unforgettable year at Rocksoc! Watch this space for details of what we have coming up for the second semester!
We are looking at securing some generous discounts for members this year, watch this space for updates!
- Cyanide- Of course we've got a discount on Cyanide tickets for you all!
- Damnation Festival- Paying Rocksoc members get their Damnation tickets for £30! A staple in the Leeds metal scene, you're likely to see a good handful of members in attendance each year. Hope to see you there!
- Fuel- entry to Leeds Beckett's alternative rock night is just £4 for RockSoc members!
- Slam Dunk, Atlas, Garage- All these nights at The Key Club are £1 cheaper with your Rocksoc card!
- Carpe Noctum- Get £1 off before 10pm for The Library's monthly Goth night featuring live bands.
- Santiago's Bar- Flash your RockSoc Card to get 20% off your drink
- Bad Apples Rock Bar- Show your RockSoc Card to get 15% off your drink
- Society events- Some of our events are open to the public, but as a member you'll always get a better deal! We also try to subsidise as many events and trips as we can to make it easier on your long-suffering wallets!
To get involved, you can purchase membership through this page. Membership is as follows:
- £4 early bird membership offer until the 8th October
- £5 after the 8th October
- £4 from Semester 2
- And just £3 after Easter
All of your membership money goes straight back to our members, to hold bigger better events for all of you, so we can give you the best rock experience during your time at Leeds. Join us!
Can’t wait to see you at Cyanide or our many socials at Strawbs and don't hesitate to contact us if you have any questions.
President - Jessica Procter
Treasurer - Harry Beynon
Secretary - Anna Smith
Social Secretaries - Eloise Wilkins, Ellen Oakley
General Committee - Zack Moore, Sarah Tatlock, Naomi Wilkins
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/LeedsRockSoc
Facebook Group/Forum: https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/498690576836140