Help and Advice

A range of info and advice concerning your health and well-being including sexual and mental health and safety.

Your body can only process one unit of alcohol an hour. Alcohol poisoning results from drinking a toxic amount of alcohol usually over a short amount of time. If you drink a lot in a short space of time and the amount of alcohol in the blood can stop the body from working properly. This can:

  • Slow down your brain functions so you lose your sense of balance
  • Irritate your stomach which causes vomiting
  • Affect your nerves that control your breathing and your heartbeat
  • Dehydrate you – which can cause brain damage
  • Lower your body temperature – which can lead to hypothermia
  • Lower your blood sugar levels – which can lead to seizures.

Acute alcohol poisoning can be extremely dangerous. It is important to be aware of the signs of alcohol poisoning. Look out for confusion, loss of coordination, vomiting, seizures, slow breathing, low body temperature and unconsciousness or passing out.

What to do if you suspect Alcohol Poisoning

If someone is showing signs of alcohol poisoning you should:

  • Try to keep them awake and sitting up
  • Give them some water
  • If they have passed out, lie them on their side in the recovery position
  • Keep them warm
  • Monitor their symptoms

If they are not getting any better then call 999 for an ambulance.

Do not leave them to sleep it off, give them coffee, make them sick, walk them around, put them in a cold shower or lot them drink any more alcohol.

Please see the Drinkaware for more information about the causes and symptoms of alcohol poisoning and what you should do if alcohol poisoning occurs.

We make every effort to ensure information on these pages is accurate and up to date, however policies, procedures and regulations are subject to change. We therefore cannot accept responsibility for any loss, damage or inconvenience suffered as a result of using our pages. Read the full disclaimer.

Back to top