Help and Advice

A range of info and advice concerning your health and well-being including sexual and mental health and safety.

Harassment is unwanted conduct that has the purpose or effect of either violating another person’s dignity or creating an intimidating, hostile, degrading, humiliating or offensive environment for that person.

Bullying is offensive, intimidating, malicious or insulting behaviour which intentionally or unintentionally undermines, humiliates, denigrates or injures the recipient.

Sources of Help

The Student Advice Centre offers free and confidential support to students who feel they are being harassed or bullied and would like someone to talk to.

The Student Advice Centre can range from being a listening ear and providing help and advice to liaising with support services and the police. We respect student’s wishes and aim to support students in whatever way they would like.

If you feel like you are experiencing harassment or bullying from someone you may wish to speak directly to the individual concerned or write to them expressing your concerns and requesting that the harassing behaviour stop immediately.

This may not be a feasible option, or if this doesn’t work you may wish to talk to someone about the situation to ensure that someone else knows about it and can help you take action to ensure that it stops. The Student Advice Centre can help with talking about your situation and helping you find the support you need. We can help you liaise with support services and the police if you wish.

Support from the University

At the University of Leeds, it is expected that everyone working, studying, visiting or communicating with the University will contribute proactively to the creation of a culture of mutual respect and an environment in which everyone is treated with dignity.

The University does not tolerate acts of harassment, bullying or victimisation by any student against another student, against a staff member or against anyone else at the University.

The University of Leeds has a dignity and mutual respect policy in order to set the guidelines for how to treat others.

If you feel like you are being harassed or bullied you can make a complaint to the university using the dignity and mutual respect policy. The Student Advice Centre can help you with this as well as give you the support that you need.

You can also take a look at The Knowledge website, which provides information and advice regarding crime and personal safety.

We make every effort to ensure information on these pages is accurate and up to date, however policies, procedures and regulations are subject to change. We therefore cannot accept responsibility for any loss, damage or inconvenience suffered as a result of using our pages. Read the full disclaimer.

Back to top