Help and Advice

Independent housing advice on all aspects of housing in university accommodation and the private sector.

Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMOs)

Some landlords need a licence to rent out their properties.  This is to ensure that shared properties meet a safe and acceptable standard.

Your landlord needs an HMO licence if the property has:

  • five or more people, and
  • they are living over three or more floors 

Failure to hold a licence is a criminal offence and could affect whether the landlord can charge you rent.

Don't rent a property if the landlord cannot provide you a copy of the HMO licence.

You can check Leeds City Council's public register to see if your prospective landlord has applied for their licence.

If they haven't, e.mail the or contact the Student Advice Centre.

We make every effort to ensure information on these pages is accurate and up to date, however policies, procedures and regulations are subject to change. We therefore cannot accept responsibility for any loss, damage or inconvenience suffered as a result of using our pages. Read the full disclaimer.

Back to top