Joblink is the student employment service in Leeds. Based on campus for over 11 years, our staff have a wealth of experience to help students access skills and employment.

Where is the Joblink office?

We’re based in Union Square, lower ground floor of Leeds University Union (next to Humpit).

We’re open to enquiries between 9am-5pm every weekday, but if you can’t make it in personally you can always send us an email to, and one of use will get back to ASAP.

Does it cost me anything?

Of course not! The service is provided to our members totally free of charge, funded by the commercial branches of Leeds University Union.

Do you have jobs in the Union?

Yes we do. We advertise all the Union's term time vacancies and we also help recruit extra casual workers for one of events, key dates and for other roles throughout the year.

Do you have jobs in the University?

A lot of the vacancies we fill are based within the University itself and cover a breadth of fields, from admin and office support to library workers, archivists, academic assistants, to web developers and more!
Whilst most of the work with the University is on campus, some is based further afield at locations such as St. James’s Hospital.

Do you have jobs outside of the University?

We do have jobs external to the University including various positions in the city centre.

Am I able to work in the UK?

Most international students can work up to 20 hours a week during term-time, but please ensure that your visa allows you to work. If you need confirmation of your visa restrictions please visit the International Student Office on Level 11 if the Marjorie & Arnold Ziff Building.

Do students have to pay taxes?

In short, yes. So long as you are earning money in the UK, you are subject to tax and National Insurance deductions (save for in very select circumstances).
The confusion here stems from the fact that it is rare for students to earn past the minimum threshold for tax payments, which can give the impression they are exempt from such deductions altogether.
In general, queries regarding tax need to be directed to Revenue and Customs (HMRC) themselves, and they can be contacted on 0300 2003 300. You might need Joblink’s Employer Reference No. which you can get from a member of Joblink staff by calling or emailing us.

What do I need to do to get paid or registered?

You will need to complete a New Starter Form, which can be acquired from the Opportunities Office in the Union. The form will also be emailed to you upon being offered a position.

Do I need ID/What ID do I need?

We ideally need to see your passport, residence permit card or national ID card. It is important to note that we can only accept an original documents, not a photocopy or scanned image.

In cases where a passport is not available, we can also accept a full birth certificate. If you do provide a birth certificate as proof of ID, you will need to provide a document clearly showing your National Insurance number.

What if I don’t have a National Insurance number (NINo)?

If you don’t have a NINo then you can visit for directions on how to apply.
If it’s a bit daunting doing it without some advice and guidance, then you can pop along to one of the JobCentre Plus branches in Leeds and talk to an advisor about getting a NINo.

What do I do if I have a query about my wage slip?

Any and all queries regarding wage slips need to be directed to Please explain clearly your query.

Back to top