SHOULD LUU LOBBY STUDENT ACCOMMODATION PROVIDERS IN LEEDS TO OFFER LAUNDRY CREDITS INCLUDED IN RENTS?
In a word, ‘Yes.’
- University of Leeds managed accommodations (i.e. Henry Price, Charles Morris, Lupton) already offer this, so students in partner accommodations like The Tannery and James Baillie are getting a worse halls experience. Let’s let everyone in halls get an equal deal.
- You get ≈ £80 pre-loaded onto your Circuit Laundry WHEN YOU MOVE IN! So no more having to go on the stupid Circuit website to load your card with the minimum £5 when you want to do one wash, which costs LESS that the £5. So much easier.
- Let’s say you get to the end of term and have no clothes left, AND PROM’S TOMORROW! You’re at the bottom of your overdraft (it is the end of term after all) and can’t afford a wash. But if it’s all included, this is a worry of the past!
- Inclusive laundry makes budgeting easier and spreads the cost of laundry (which, let’s be honest, is extortionate) across the whole year.
- Halls rents go up by a small percentage every year, so don’t worry about the cost of rents shooting up if this was introduced.
- Other students’ unions have asked me how to get their universities to do this. If we could get this as a city-wide offer in ALL student accommodations in Leeds, we could really start a movement nationwide.
That sounds like some pretty sound logic.
Thanks. Now vote for inclusive laundry in halls before Friday 8 December!